Over the centuries, humans have developed ways to minimize this interaction. We've become like the turtle who retreats into its shell to escape perceived outside dangers - real or benign. More and more elaborate shelters have been devised. Climate controlling technology has been created, from air conditioning and heating to full spectrum lighting. Blinds and drapes can be drawn to block out the visual cues of outside weather conditions. This has gotten to the point that one can be enclosed and have little idea of how hot or cold, wet or snowy it may be outside.
Thank goodness for the weather reports! How else would we know what to expect when we stepped outside the door? And on that note, forget about having to step outside the door. We even have these moving machines that transport us from one enclosed garage to the next, keeping us safe from that scary outside world.
And so, as I biked through the downpour yesterday, I marveled at the beauty of the rain's intensity. As my feet became engrossed in soggy swampiness and my hair so soaked that I must have looked like a drowned rat, my smile grew bigger. I was experiencing the rain to its fullest. I was feeling its amazing intensity.
It reminded me of a Bob Dylan quote that came across my path recently:
"Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet."
Here I was feeling the rain because I was brave and got wet.
This is one of the many things that I appreciate about being a bicyclist. I get to really connect to my surroundings. It's made me more tolerant and appreciative of weather variances. I cannot avoid the shifts in climate. It connects me with my surroundings in other ways as well. Every year I sense the coming of spring on those bike rides at night during which my nose is greeted with the sweet fragrance of honeysuckle and jasmine blossoms.
I will continue to resist the turtle evolution. I will shed that shell and face those outside things that look off putting. And I will see the beauty in all that my surroundings have to offer.

5 comments:
I love this post! I always feel cold and sometimes get whiny and lazy about leaving the house and braving the weather...luckily having to walk the dog forces me out into the elements everyday, rain or shine, and once I'm out in the fresh air I always feel good about it. Thanks for your uplifting post & great Dylan quote. I'll be remembering that one next time I catch myself complaining about Pacific NW weather!
I can definitley relate after commuting to work on a 75 pound heap of metal through the chinese winter. Theres also something really rewarding about getting around using only your own power.
Thanks for staying human with me.
I drive to work so I don't get to have the pleasure of experiencing the surroundings everyday the way you do. When it does happen that I'm out and about in the rain and not in my giant metal turtle shell on 4 wheels, I really do enjoy the experience. Something about the soothing sounds of the rain drops, the clean smelling air and the visual aspects of rain all come together and put me in a nice peaceful state.
roozta-
Just realized I was slamming your power animal. There's nothing wrong with turtles; it's only an issue when we try to mimic them with our fake shells.
Ironically, in animal medicine turtles represent mother earth.
Post a Comment