Little notes and observations.

Saturday, May 24, 2008

And Can You Do Home Deliveries on that Discounted Head?

Every weekend I go to one of my local farmers' markets to do my weekly shopping. Because of my consistent patronage, I've built up relationships with many of the sellers. Not only do I get discounts on my fruits and meats, but I also get valet bike parking. That's right -- the red carpet treatment in the world of markets.

Today as I was shopping around after having dropped my bike off with the meat guys, one of them rolled up on my bike. He asked me if he could borrow my bike for 20 minuted to make a delivery down the street. I said okay since it was either my bike or the truck that he would need to take and we all wanted him to leave the smallest ecological footprint.

About 30 minutes later my bike was back from one of it's craziest adventures ever, returned with freshly filled tires and all. Turns out that Scott made a delivery to a guy that used to be a chef for Chez Panisse who had some fancy plans for the discounted pig's head that was being advertised this weekend. The 20 pound head was strapped to my handle bars. Shrink wrapped in it's sagging plastic bag, the head had started to bare its teeth and show other oozing things. I was so upset that none of the guys had the foresight to take a photo for me. All I have is their vivid description to build my mental picture.


No comments: