Not only will I refrain from buying products made in China, which is not that easy, but I also plan to boycott watching the Olympics, which may be even harder. But if I really want to make a statement against all of their injustices and stick to my environmental beliefs, then buying locally made products is the strongest statement I can make. After all, how we spend our money is more powerful than any political process and it is what helped end apartheid in South Africa.
But isn't everything made in China now? Pretty much. But this means I end up buying less, which is an added environmental benefit. Another obvious benefit of consuming less is that I'm saving money. This then makes it easy to buy locally made products that are going to cost more since we have a higher living wage here than in China.
Of course I do end up buying something made in China every once in a while, like this computer that I'm typing on. But I really try to stick to my guns about this. And I can't tell how good it feels. Yes, I pass up on having certain products in my life, but they really aren't essential to my existence. And in turn, I can afford to purchase clothing made by local designers, fresh food from organic farmers in area, and hmm...I can't think of another example since I don't really spend money on much else.
So please join me in supporting the local movement, even if you don't care about China's policies. In the long run, supporting our communities pays off huge in the environmental, economic, and social arenas. And if you want something that you can't find made locally, see if you can get it secondhand on Craigslist or at a thrift store or garage sale. Or at the very least, go with a product from a country that is a little more environmentally aware (like ponytail holders from Japan), even if it still is widening it's ecological footprint due to shipment.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
For more on changes in China, see National Geographic's May 2008 edition: China - Inside the Dragon. It's the first issue of theirs that I've read from cover to cover. Also, the January/February 2008 edition of Mother Jones takes an analytical look at China's development in its cover article: The Last Empire: China's Pollution Problem Goes Global.

2 comments:
I don't like all the bad things that China does, but I'm still watching the Olympics. They're just one of many countries engaged in bad things. Sure, China is trying to score propaganda points, but the Olympics is larger than that. It is a chance for top athletes from all over the world to come together and compete on an international stage. Plus, there's always a chance we might see one or two athletes do something in protest like Smith and Carlos in the 68 Olympics.
I agree with your point about watching the world's best athlete's compete and that's why I'm not absolutely sure that I'll boycott the Olympics. Maybe we should just watch everything on YouTube so that the corporate t.v. sponsors will at least see a decline in viewership.
Post a Comment