Little notes and observations.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Getting Off of The Rutted Route of Routine

We humans are creators of habit; there's no doubt about that. Whether it's making the same food every week, taking the same route home everyday, or a myriad of other tendencies, people get stuck in that well worn route called routine. But let's not forget that wonderful advice from Robert Frost to take the road less traveled. And that less traveled road may be one never traveled by others or just one that is worn though never traveled by you. The results: you may either experience breaking away from the norms of society or the norms of you, both of which will provide you with glasses of a different shade through which to view the world.

I was reminded of the eye-opening, refreshing nature of the break from routine last month when I had a flat tire on my bike that took me a few days to fix. Now, while I am almost convinced that my mischievous, nosy neighbor is responsible for placing that staple that I found in my tire, I do not hold it against him. For, if it was him, he gave me the gift of a vacation from my daily habits. No longer was I able to hop on my bike and rush off to my destinations. Instead, I took the slower method of foot travel and was exposed to my daily world through the eyes of the pedestrian. The smell of the flowers I passed by was stronger and I noticed stores and fliers that were otherwise missed.

A week or so later I was sucked out of my routine again when I came down with a mild flu. It was bad enough to keep me from the daily grind of work, the gym, and tae kwon do, but not too bad to stop me from enjoying movies and reading. Because my obligations to my job and working out are hard to break without feeling guilty, the flu provided me with a chance to get out of those routines. Days seemed longer when I suddenly had little to pack them with. I was able to watch the colors of the sun setting with a more aware mind. I had time to read a book over a few days rather than the typical few weeks. And when I went back to my routine a few days later, the break had helped me to rediscover my appreciation for my activities.

I see the value in consistency and dedication. Where you apply those values, you will further develop your skills and knowledge. At the same time there's much that can be learned when you expose yourself to fresh points of view whether you decide to take the longer, less familiar route home, or stand up on your table to view your surroundings through the eyes of a giant.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"...that the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse!"