Little notes and observations.

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Are We Consuming or Being Consumed?

Today I watched a video entitled The Story of Stuff. It was similar to a book I had read in college, Stuff: The Secret Lives if Everyday Things, in which the little talked about impacts of our consumer-oriented society were highlighted. From extracting to manufacturing, and labor exploitation to environmental degradation, they both covered the trail of our beloved goods from birth to grave. With the trend these pieces are setting, it seems inevitable that if you pick up something with the word "stuff" in the title, you should be prepared to find yourself second guessing our American lifestyle -- though I hope all of my readers already question that.

So rather than take the normal time that you would spend reading my blah, blah, blog, please invest twenty minutes to have the mental dots in your mind connected by The Story of Stuff. Hopefully, it will provide a pause the next time you consider a purchase.

No comments: