Little notes and observations.

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Moving Toward Zen

The newest obsession at my place is with the double series collection of Planet Earth and The Blue Planet that we recently purchased. Most evenings we relax to unprecedented footage of animals migrating, mating, hunting, or just hanging out and doing their thing. I am amazed by the film crew's uncanny ability to capture the rarest scenes, from the elusive wild camels of Mongolia to bioluminescent fish that dwell in the deep sea.

Surprisingly, one of the scen
es that caught me thinking the longest was of an animal that is quite familiar to our prying cameras - the dolphin. I can't even remember what this particular scene was trying to convey because my imagination had already taken me down it's own path. I envisioned what it must be like to travel long distances across open waters, breeching as a group and sailing unknown distances. It would be amazing to experience that sense of oneness that accompanies the constant motion that is little more than second nature to them. All at once exhilarating, exhausting, playful, purposeful.

I want to be a dolphin. Or a monkey. Maybe you want to fly like a bird.

I am human. My purpose is to walk, and that's what I do. I walk to catch my train, to the neighborhood stores, to my appointments, and sometimes just to walk. I love the feeling of constant movement. My mind unwinds as my legs exercise, traveling it's own journey of thoughts, reaching it's own destinations.

Through movement, I am one.

No comments: