Little notes and observations.

Saturday, February 6, 2010

2009 Reading List

While last year's book list turned out to be short, I spent time between books catching up on periodicals. We subscribe to the National Geographic and the Earth Island Journal, both of which are always full of excellent reads.

Amazingly, every book I read last year was a treasure in one way or another. Here's the list and quick summaries of books I read.

Origins - Fourteen Billion Years of Cosmic Evolution by Neil deGrasse Tyson and Donald Goldsmith

Best word to sum this book up is "WoW!"
I began reading Origins a few years back when I decided I wanted to read a book that would explain the primordial stew that all life originated from. This book was the closest to anything that would describe the stew at a my favorite bookstore that has since closed - Cody's. Turned out Origins is actually an in-depth scientific overview of life from the first millisecond of the universe, to the creation of stars and planets, to the birth of life and its evolution on our home planet, to the search for lifeforms beyond. This book is so amazing that I feel my life would be lacking if I hadn't had the fortunate of meeting it. The thing about Origins is that it almost lost my readership in the first few chapters which were way too abstract physics based for me - dark matter, huh? Luckily, Origins has a kind of CliffNotes - a PBS NOVA series off of which the book is based. After watching the series, I was able to go back to the book and finish it. I highly recommend this approach if your science background is wobbly like mine. Here's a link to my favorite concept covered - we are all stardust!


Secrets of the Talking Jaguar - memoirs from the living heart of a Mayan village by Martin Prechtel

This book was a re-read for me. That should say something. Secrets of the Talking Jaguar is a beautifully written personal account of a man finding himself and his spiritual journey as he trains to be a shaman and village elder. He travels from his homeland of the U.S. to a rural village in Guatemala where he for the first time feels at home. It is a magical true story, full of poetic imagery that captures a pre-industrial culture and a village's struggle to retain its identity - its heart - from outside forces. This book was especially interesting since I had spent time in the picturesque lakeside village surrounded by volcanoes and saw how it is no longer self-contained and free from influences from the outside world. Martin Prechtel currently travels the U.S. as a spiritual teacher and has written other books like Long Life, Honey in the Heart which explores the importance of rituals and initiations both for society and for personal identity.


Reason for Hope - A Spiritual Journey by Jane Goodall

I saw Dr. Jane Goodall, the famed primatologist, speak at the Herbst Theatre the prior year. I was so moved by her words that I bought this book along with In the Shadow of Man (which I highly recommend) and a DVD, and then waited in one of the longest lines ever to meet her and get her signature on the books. I read her other book first, which described her work with wild chimpanzees in Africa in the 1970s including the nature and personalities of the females, males, and adolescents. While her discoveries about the chimps described In the Shadow of Man are fascinating, I was left feeling depressed knowing the extent to which humans are negatively altering the planet and limiting the chimpanzees' hope for survival. And then came Reason for Hope. This is Dr. Goodall's autobiography which she published in recent years to help give hope to people like myself. It is a story of her spiritual development, part of which is based on her work in Gombe, but is much larger than her role as a primatologist. This book is full of inspiration and surprises.


Desert Solitaire - A Season in the Wilderness by Edward Abbey

Edward Abbey has probably brought as many people into the environmental movement in the last half century as John Muir did the first half. I have no proof to that statement, but read Desert Solitaire and tell me you have not been converted (assuming you're currently an enviro-hater, which I doubt). Desert Soltaire is one of those books which I did not want to end. It is Abbey's autobiographical writings based on his time spent in the 1950s as a park ranger in the little-developed Arches National Park, Utah. He reverently writes about the geographical features of the region, the flora and fauna, and the elements. He is a rugged adventurer and practicalist in regards to how man should interact with the world around him. His feelings toward and views about nature are right on point and his adventures are described so vividly that I am right there with him. This is by far one of the best books I have ever read.


Bigfoot! The True Story of Apes in America by Loren Coleman

Last year I became fascinated with Bigfoot after meeting an older hippie from Oregon who had spent much time in Northern California and the Pacific Northwest in general and had claimed that Sasquatch were real. He told stories of following Bigfoot prints in snow in hopes of tracking one down and encounters that friends had with Bigfoot. I then went on a quest to find a non-fiction account about Bigfoot. Coleman is a cryptozoologist who approaches the topic of Bigfoot in a historic and scientific manner. This was the non-fiction coverage that I was hoping for. While there have been a lot of hoaxes, I'm leaning toward being a believer and now have Bigfoot high on my list of animals to someday track and shoot - with my camera.


A Sand County Almanac and Sketches Here and There by Aldo Leopold

Like Abbey and Desert Solitaire, Leopold and A Sand County Almanac is stuff to make environmentalists with. Written mid-twentieth century, Sand County beautifully captures the magic and simplicity of the natural world and pays tribute to that world which is increasingly shrinking due to industrialization and sprawl development. Leopold never neglects singing the praises of what many would think are the most insignificant weeds or insects nor most graceful flowers or birds. This is a book that I hope to read many times over the course of my life. For some of my favorite quotes from the book, follow this link.


Tales of Wonder: Adventures Chasing the Divine by Huston Smith

Somehow I ended up reading a lot of autobiographies this year. This was an enjoyable and quick read that introduced me to the fascinating life of a modern religious scholar. Smith describes his exploring of the various world religions, befriending of prominent people, and witnessing of major historical events.

No comments: