This past week I spent a few days in Pinnacles National Monument. The primary purpose of the trip was to rock climb. In between small bursts of showers and hail, I got in a few climbs. The unexpected extreme cold kept me from climbing as much as I had intended, but allowed time to hike and explore the wonders of this relatively small park. And it is a park bursting with wild experiences. Trails take you through caves that require headlamps to navigate, past large patches of wildflowers and edible miner's lettuce, and under soaring birds. The following are some of the flora and fauna that I enjoyed viewing.
This was the first time that I've seen a bobcat. It sat in the grass for about 20 minutes, allowing me to observe.

I love using the "super macro" function on my camera. It allows for up close shots like the one of this caterpillar.

This sticky monkey flower grew along a trail, but I also encountered clumps of them growing out of cracks in the rock as I climbed.

These blue flowers looked especially vibrant in the evening and inspired a poem about twilight.

Yummy miner's lettuce made for refreshing snacks throughout the trip.
No comments:
Post a Comment