Because I have a number of food sensitivities, I had to rule out most processed foods a long time ago. This led to me learning how to cook well which then led to me wanting to know more about food in general. I've now built a repertoire of yummy dishes that not only satisfy the palate, but my dietary restrictions as well. It's funny that when most people learn I can't have wheat, sugar, or some other common ingredients, they get this apologetic look and seem to think that I'm this unfortunate soul.
No pizza?! No cake?! No sandwiches?! What do you possibly find to eat?
The humor in it comes from the fact that I probably eat better tasting foods than most of those people, and, needless to say, my diet has the extra benefit of being healthy.
The trick to healthy eating is to eat real food. That is, avoid processed and packaged foods. Sure, it can take extra time to make your own food, but there are tricks to cutting down the time spent in the kitchen (though I find time in the kitchen to be very meditative). What are those tricks?
- Make one-pot-wonders: These are dishes that you can pull out of the fridge and scoop out a portion to bring to work or heat up for dinner. My favorites are soups, stews, and chilis. I experiment with whatever foods are in season at the farmers' market, so I'm often coming up with new creations.
- Buy interesting salad fixings: It's so quick and easy to throw a salad together and it provides a good source of energy while helping to make sure you get a good dose of veggies. I like to get a mix of baby greens and add anything from sprouts to avocados. To avoid overly indulgent dressings, I add a kick of flavor by using hummus, olives, or anchovies to top off my salads. A little salt or fat in those kinds of toppings goes a long way.
- Use the broiler: Throwing fish into the broiler cuts down on cooking time and takes little attention.
- Cook more than one meal at a time: While I made a stir fry for breakfast this morning, I threw some sausages into a pan that I later ate for lunch.
- Cook enough for more than one meal: Yup, I'll probably be eating some more stir fry and sausages tomorrow.
- Eat a good amount of fat to help you stay full: My favorite sources of fat these days are almond butter (so heavenly on pink ladies!), cheese, and avocados. Of course, the meat I eat has a decent amount of fat, too - that's what gives it the extra good flavor. The key with animal fat is to make sure you get it from a healthy source since that's where animals store toxic chemicals. Grass-fed, organic animals are the best. Their natural diet also provides them with all of the necessary omega fatty acids which is a must for us as consumers.
- Have healthy snacks on hand: It takes no time to wash off carrots or radishes, apples or other fruits. Nuts or cheese offer hardier snack alternatives. I also keep a stash of snack bars. I like Lydia's Organic Bars which are full of dehydrated seeds, nuts, and fruits.

2 comments:
Great tips! I recently finished reading "In Defense of Food" myself. It's such a curious thing that the business of eating has become so complicated. How has this happened?
How is it that our culture has accepted the norm of focusing on treating the symptoms of perfectly preventable diseases instead of the root causes?
Pollan talks about the advent of the expert nutritionist in our modern society. What happen to the family traditions, community, and culture that used to teach us how and what to eat?
Pollan also talks about the normalization of diabetes in our society. After all, it is a whole new market for drug companies and specialty food producers. I get really worked up thinking about it...
Eat (real) food. Not too much. Mostly plants. YES! YES! YES! The answer is so simple.
Thanks Beth and Alma. I've read the book, and I too, appreciate Pollan's simplicity to eating. I hope for the day when we stop trying to find the "right way" or "perfect system" to eating food, but rather where eating well is natural to us and a part of our own American culture. I think this involves a return to honoring humanity's connection with the planet as well as steps to reject mass, industrialized agriculture and food production. (A study released yesterday found toxic mercury in popular supermarket food products.)
For more about real food, eating healthy, and the connection, I'd recommend these other sources: Full Moon Feast, Nourishing Traditions, www.threestonehearth.com
Happy eating!
Post a Comment