Little notes and observations.

Monday, February 4, 2008

Food: My Best Bet

As most of my friends can tell you, I'm not one to gamble. I usually sit out of poker night, except on the rare occasion when my boyfriend will pay for my buy in. I also hate Las Vegas, though I admit that's for more reasons than just it's gambling fame. The fact is that I just don't put money down on games; it's not the type of chance I like to take.

All that being said, there is one thing that I'm willing to put money on: food challenges. Those are the one thing that puts the odds in my favor.

Since I was a kid, I'd win everything from ice cream challenges amongst friends to the watermelon eating contest at my elementary school. So yesterday when friends at the Super Bowl party got bored with the game and bet me $30 that I wouldn't be able to eat a tablespoon of cinnamon without drinking anything, I had to take the dare. They had already tried and failed to eat mounds of cinnamon and had seen others on YouTube do the same, so they were sure that they'd win.

The tricky thing about cinnamon is that it sucks all of the moister out of your mouth, making it nearly impossible to swallow. Fortunately, I had more than just confidence on my side; I also had technique. Everyday I eat two teaspoons of ground milk thistle seed -- believe me, that stuff is dry.

But when I took in the spoon full of cinnamon, my confidence was sucked away, along with all of my moister. As puffs of cinnamon escaped my lips and perhaps my nose while my body heat rose, I thought for sure I'd lose. That's when I pulled out my secret technique of chewing. The chewing action helped me salivate and the cinnamon eventually clumped up so that I was able to ingest it.

Now, even though I'm sitting here bragging about my eating feats, I haven't won ever time. I still haven't been able to beat Rob at the rice challenge that I put out to him when we first started dating. But to be honest, I was just trying to flirt and win him more than the actual contest.

1 comment:

Jon said...

drink a 2 liter of pepsi, without stopping, and finish it. For $5.50, I did it, in 10th grade, at lunch, and I got written up for disturbing the students.