Little notes and observations.

Monday, July 25, 2011

Slow for the Buffalo


Yellowstone National Park holds many distinctions - first national park; home of ye Old Faithful Geyser and other geothermal formations; land of feared predators like grizzles and wolves; where the buffalo roam.

Driving along a windy mountain road, the car took a turn and was greeted by a herd of buffalo making their way up the mountain. Such an unusual sight. Buffalo are often spotted in the park, but typical in meadows or crossing the road to get to the other side of a meadow, but miles up on a narrow road was something else.

The buffalo became the traffic directors. They slowed the cars down to a barely-faster-than-walking speed of about 5 mph. And the cars obeyed. Luckily my car was not on the side of the road that they were managing. I could pass. And as I did, I saw a line of at least 100 cars piled behind their conductors. The line would only build as the buffalo marched on up the road - a road that wouldn't spread out into a meadow for the buffalo for quite some time.