Little notes and observations.

Friday, December 12, 2008

I'll Take a Pack of Camels, I Mean a Camel With a Pack, Please

Currently, I live with an African dwarf frog that hangs out in a fish bowl, a scorpion the lives under a log, a python named Deeth Dastardly (need I say more), a male gecko that lost its tail, and a White's tree frog that croaks out lonely love songs. Eclectic? Yes. Cuddly or useful in any other way? No. I want a good pet.

I've been thinking about what kind of pet would suit me best. As far as cats, I'm not a fan of their stuck up attitude and over-independence. Besides, I'm very allergic to them. So, naturally, dogs shot to the top of my list. Dogs are affectionate, playful, and, depending on the breed, fairly intelligent.

Ok, so a dog it would be. But, wait. Would a dog be able to go with me where ever I wanted? I had envisioned one of those outdoor dogs that would ramble up and down a trail with me while I backpacked through wilderness - not only keeping me company, but helping to share my load. They do make those packs that you can slap across the back of your dog. Well, my bubble was burst when I found out that dogs can really only bear the weight of their own food and water. Imagine that! Not as useful of a companion on the trail after all. Besides, with the way dogs run off, you'd have to worry about them coming upon a bear or skunk and causing mayhem. Or, frolicking in a patch of poison oak and then transferring the itchy, blister-inducing oils to you and your gear.

And, so, this is how I came to my decision on the best pet for me: the camel. Camels have hair, so I imagine that means they are nice to pet. They don't live behind glass walls, so I'll be able to interact with this pet rather than just occasionally stare at it while it feeds. As far as the outdoors, everyone knows camels make great pack animals. And if I get too tired, my pet camel could even carry me on its hump for a stretch.

The biggest drawback of the pet camel idea? Teaching it to be more mindful of where it spits. Or, at least learning to stand in the right place to avoid its projectile cud.

No comments: