Little notes and observations.

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Helping to save the native populations of Montana

It seems to be really popular these days for people to plan their vacations around volunteer work or other meaningful social experiences within the communities they are temporarily invading. I, too, am like my peers. After all, I do consider myself to be an activist. So this summer when I was in Montana, I took the opportunity to do some informal work to help protect native populations -- of flowers, that is.

Unfortunately, when the Europeans came to America, they didn't just bring their guns, germs, and racism (which ravished populations of Native people), but they also brought seeds of exotic plants in the feed for livestock. Other foreign species came via plans for profits. California's golden hills - brought to us from Spain; groves of eucalyptus - bad timber from Australia; and, yes, "California" thistle - it's real name is Canada thistle though it's actually from Europe. Just like the Europeans , these plants have competed for land and displaced native plant populations as they creep across the continent.

While it's not looking too good for some native populations, at least there are defenders like myself. I've taken on the task of whacking down invasive thistle populations around the country. You may have thought I hiked with trekking poles out of laziness. But, alas, that's only part of the reason. What else makes for a better weapon when it comes to chopping down some tall, prickly thistle?

Note: This isn't a job for everyone. You need to be able to know which populations are native and which are invasive. And you have to kill without being caught since you are not formerly employed by the park service.

I am proud to say that leaving beautiful Montana I knew I had given bear grass, indian paint brush, and other natives a better chance of outcompeting their European invaders for another season.

1 comment: