Little notes and observations.

Sunday, January 6, 2008

Don't Judge a Book By It's Cover; Do Judge a Person By What They Read, or Don't

Today I finished reading On The Road. The idea was that reading another's memoirs would give stylistic direction for my writing, or at least a little inspiration. Yet, here I've been struggling all weekend with what to write about, looking for words in the rain, deep realizations from long walks. So rather than manufacture a struggled anecdote, I figured it would be wiser to wait for a true flash of brilliance. In the meantime, I will share a list of books I read in 2007 so that you may indulge in the brilliance of various authors that I read from last year.

The Omnivore's Dilemma - A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan
Pollan takes you on an entertaining and informative journey to examine what we eat. The book covers the industrial food chain, the organic chain - both local and industrial, and the hunter/gather chain. This last one was so well written that I actually wanted to go boar hunting in Sonoma.

Don Quioxte by Miguel de Cervantes
This reality challenging book was a three month endeavor that was enjoyable to the end despite some slow parts in the middle. A classic must-read prior to any trip to España.

Fighting for G.O.D. (Gold, Oil and Drugs) by Jeremy Begin and Lauren Salk
A easy to understand, comic book that spells out the truth behind 9/11 and the historic events that have led up to it. It's enraging to the point of inspiration.

Dress Your Familiy in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris
I took this hard-covered book backpacking despite the extra weight because I knew the short stories would be perfect for around the campfire. Sedaris chronicles his everyday tragedies in a comical way. While not my favorite Sedairs book, it still was hard to put down. Pick up this book if only to read "Six to Eight Black Men".

Half Asleep In Frog Pajamas by Tom Robbins
From the master of comical-philosophical-sexy fiction, Frog PJs is by far not his best, but still enjoyable. The deepest feelings that I took away were connected to how we relate to money.

The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron
This life-transforming book takes you through 12 steps of unlocking your creative side. It helped me discover writing and relearn what brings balance to my life.

The Legacy of Luna by Julia Butterfly Hill
This is a deeply inspirational book that accounts Julia's personal journey to become a leading actor in the movement to protect old-growth forests.

Solar Storms by Linda Hogan
Lent to me by my 80-year-old coworker, this beautiful novel vividly depicts four generations of Native American women working together to protect their land and way of life.

On the Road
by Jack Kerouac
A great glimpse into a time in American history of great jazz and the freedom to hitchhike. Read the book before the movie comes out in '09.


That's the list. This year I have a long list of non-fiction waiting on my shelf:
  • Paradigm Wars: Indigenous Peoples' Resistance to Economic Globalization;
  • Dreams from My Father by Barack Obama;
  • Creating a World The Works For All by Sharif Abdullah;
  • Black Liberation and Socialism by Ahmed Shawki;
  • Origins by Nail DeGrasse Tyson and Donald Goldsmith;
  • Walden by Henry David Thoreau; and
  • Vive La Revolution: A Stand-up History of the French Revolution by Mark Steel.
Obviously, with a list like this I'll be looking for some light fiction to throw in the mix. In other words, recommendations are welcomed.

1 comment:

ebeth said...

So far I've completed the Obama book. If you aren't already inspired by the man, read his books.